Sunday, September 27, 2009
Weight & Wickedness
I was reading Helaman 11:25-26 today. Nephi had asked God to cause a famine so the people would humble themselves and repent. When they had repented and turned back to God, Nephi asked God to make it rain again and it did. They had righteousness for a couple years, but within four years, wickedness returned and they searched out the secret plans of the Gadianton Robbers. I was thinking about how quickly and easily people fall into wickedness and how it escalates so quickly. Then I realized it's just like gaining weight (not for all people, but in general). It is really easy to put on 5 pounds, then 5 more, and then more. Once you start eating poorly and not exercising, you eat more and are more tired and lazy...weight can escalate quickly as well. To become wicked or gain weight just takes laziness and slothfulness or blindness, you just stop paying attention and before you know it, you have lost your way. To recover from both wickedness and weight gain takes commitment and work and consistency. You can't do good for a few days and then binge/sin for a few days. Repentance is a daily process. Sure with either, you may slip up on the road, but you have to keep pressing forward. Not to say that being overweight is wickedness, but it was an interesting comparison for me. It's also great motivation to not only be righteous, but to also lose that extra weight) or at least be good while I am pregnant so I don't gain a bunch extra!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.